Chris Quentin

Off the Street and into the Club

When Chris Quentin (Brian Tilsley) left Coronation Street in 1989 and followed his then wife, Leeza Gibbons, to America to carve out a Hollywood career many said it would end in tears. And it did. But Chris has never been one to crumble beneath adversity. True to form he returned to the UK and reinvented himself, turning his hand to 'anything which is to do with presenting, standing up with a microphone. I do my cabaret act, my DJ act and I'm also on the after dinner circuit'.
Prior to getting the part in Coronation Street Chris Quentin (born Bell) had not 'just appeared from nowhere' but had a respectable pedigree in TV and films with parts in Warship, Target, The Pink Medicine Show, The Little Big Show and a part opposite Tatum O'Neal in International Velvet.
For eleven years Brian Tilsley was the constant man in Gail's life and the bane of his mother Ivy's, until his untimely death at the hands of a yob outside a nightclub where Brian was romancing behind his wife's back. His departure from The Street is not something that Chris wants to rake over yet again as he feels that enough has been said in the last ten years to last a lifetime. 'If I'm not careful I'll spend my whole day talking about it. I've spoken about it all my life, now I don't want to speak about that. But, if it's a lovely old lady who comes and speaks to me then I'll speak to her as long as she likes. If someone is a genuine fan and I can see they are really getting off on talking about it then I don't mind at all.'
Nowadays Chris' life is so busy it's hard to see how he fits it all in. He has a full schedule of cabaret appearances, gala openings, after dinner speaking and his regular job as Promotions Manager at Stringfellows club in London. 'I don't like the title of Promotions Manager. I host Friday and Saturday nights. I look after and oversee the actual atmosphere of the club. I enjoy being in that party atmosphere. I invite pretty girls and celebrity friends into the club to create the right atmosphere. I've known Peter [Stringfellow] for about 20 years and he is an old and good friend to me. He gives me a lot of space to operate. Nobody is breathing down my neck saying you're giving away too many drinks.'
Well known in tabloid press for his wild partying days, working in Stringfellows seems to be the perfect place for Chris to end up at. 'If I wasn't working there I'd be out Friday and Saturday anyway. I'd be spending money instead of making it.' Between his stints at Stringfellows Chris has other means to earn a living. 'When I was in Coronation Street, how I made so much money was because I was forever doing live performances, personal appearances, singing with my band.' Nowadays he doesn't tour with a band but he still sings for his supper on a regular basis. 'I now work with backing tracks, it's a lot easier. I also have a comedy Rock 'N' Roll act. I used to do rock 'n' roll when I was in the Street but now I've added a lot more comedy. I get a couple of guys up dressed as Bet Lynch and Vera Duckworth. They steal the show. The audience ends up standing and clapping and singing along.'
Chris also finds the time to do panto every year. I asked him where he found the energy for it all. 'I don't sleep a lot.' I think he was only half joking. 'I eat well and train. I look after myself. I'm fitter now than I ever was. I eat cereals, salads, potatoes, fish, loads of fruit and loads of water.' Looking at him I wished that I'd made an effort when I was younger. 'It's never too late. What will take the time is getting out of the bad habits, that certain lifestyle, the way you live and eat. You can't suddenly change overnight.'
Chris Quentin, one-time hell-raiser and 'disgraced ex-Coronation Street star' has certainly come a long way in 10 years. As he said, it's not happened overnight but, at last, he seems to have found his niche in life and, at 40, is happier, and fitter, than he ever has been.
Chris Quentin can be seen on Channel 5 in Club Culture on Wednesday 15th July at 8.30pm and on Granada Plus in Coronation Street.
First published in Thud
© Paul Towers 9/1997

No comments:

Post a Comment